CERTIFICATED AND CLASSIFIED PERSONNEL
The Governing Board shall provide for paid and unpaid employee leaves of absence in accordance with law, Board policy, administrative regulation and collective bargaining agreements.
The Board recognizes the following justifiable reasons for absence as provided by law:
- personal illness or injury;
- industrial accident or illness;
- childbirth and recovery, care of newborn, placement of a child with the employee for foster care or adoption of a child;
- military service;
- family illness or accident; bereavement; fire, flood or other immediate danger to the employee’s home or property; and other personal emergencies;
- vacations for classified staff and certificated management staff, as applicable;
- jury duty or required court appearances;
- religious observances;
- participation in child’s school or day care activities;
- for certificated staff, sabbaticals for purposes of study or travel; for classified staff, sabbaticals for purposes of study or retraining;
- attendance at work-related meetings and staff development opportunities;
- compulsory leave.
With Board approval, employees may receive a long-term leave of absence without pay and without increment, seniority or service credit, for a period of up to one school year. Applications for long-term leave shall be made in writing and shall state the purpose for which leave is requested. All long-term leave agreements shall be in writing and shall state the terms and conditions of the leave, including the conditions governing the employee’s return.
At the end of a long-term leave, the employee shall be reinstated in a position at the same level as that held at the time leave was granted, unless otherwise agreed upon.
The Board shall consider any written request by an employee to return to work prior to the expiration date of the leave.
The implementation of this policy shall not conflict with the provisions of any collective bargaining agreement.
44036 Leaves of absence for judicial and official appearances
44842 Failure to provide notice or to report to work
44940 Sex offenses and narcotic offenses; compulsory leave of absence
44962-44988 Leaves of absence (certificated)
45190-45210 Leaves of absence (classified)
3543.2 Scope of representation
First Reading: 2/14/01
Governing Board Adoption: 3/14/01