School Facilities Improvement Districts
Upon determining that a school facilities improvement district is necessary, the Governing Board shall adopt a resolution of intention that states all of the following: (Education Code 15320)
- the Board’s intention to form the proposed school facilities improvement district;
- the purpose for which the proposed district is to be formed, consistent with the requirements of Education Code 15302;
- the estimated cost of the school facilities improvement project;
- that any taxes levied for financing general obligation bonds issued to finance the project shall be levied exclusively upon the lands in the proposed school facilities improvement district;
- that a map showing the exterior boundaries of the proposed district is on file with the Board and available for public inspection, and that these boundaries meet the requirements of Education Code 15301;
- the time and place for a Board hearing on the formation of the proposed district; and
- that any interested persons, including all persons owning lands in the District or in the proposed school facilities improvement district, may appear and be heard at the above hearing.
Notice of the hearing shall be given by publishing a copy of the resolution of intention in a newspaper of general circulation pursuant to Government Code 6066, starting at least fourteen (14) days before the hearing. The resolution shall also be posted in three (3) public places within the proposed school facilities improvement district for at least fourteen (14) days before the hearing. (Education Code 15321)
The Board shall hold the above hearing as specified in its resolution and may, at the hearing, adopt a resolution proposing modifications of its above-stated purposes consistent with Education Code 15302. A resolution proposing modification shall describe the proposed modifications, state any change in the estimated cost of carrying out the purpose, and fix a time and place for a related Board hearing. (Education Code 15322, 15323)
At least fourteen (14) days before the hearing to consider its resolution proposing modification, the Board shall publish the resolution one time in the same newspaper in which the resolution of intention was published. (Education Code 15324)
When hearings are concluded, the Board may, by resolution, order the formation of a school facilities improvement district. The resolution shall state the estimated cost of carrying out described purposes and shall number and designate the improvement district as specified in Education Code 15326. (Education Code 15326)
The Superintendent or designee shall establish procedures consistent with Education Code 15330-15425 governing the financing of bonds, bond elections and the issuance and sale of bonds.