Library Site Plan
Branch Elementary is a Kindergarten through sixth grade school. Branch Library is open from 7:30 A.M. to 3 P.M. for students and staff. The library is staffed by Miss Danielle Copeland.
Teachers use the library for materials to aid in their classrooms. Branch instructors check out Accelerated Reader materials for use by students, books for personal and class reading activities, supplemental books and videos to enhance class lessons, and borrow sets of books for written or oral reports (ex. state reports, famous person reports).
Students patronize the site library during weekly visits for checking out books for pleasure reading, Accelerated Reader points, book reports and special research assignments.
Library Site Goals
- Develop positive atmosphere in the library:
- User-friendly library
- Welcoming atmosphere that makes students and staff look forward to a fun experience visiting the library to meet their academic and pleasure reading needs.
- More communication between faculty and library staff
- Colorful, cheerful and bright surroundings
- Needs to build library collection:
- Resources that match state and district standards
- AR program resources (books and tests)
- Additional resources (books, videos) that match reading and math units
- More current reference books for research
- More magazines
- New books for pleasure reading
- Professional journals such as Mailbox available for teacher use
- Find more financial resources to build collection
- Improve access to library resources for teachers and students:
- Be able to check out one new book for each book returned.
- Develop support systems to encourage reading (contests, bookmarks, etc.)
- Have AR levels on spines of books
- If individuals come in to check out books while a class is in the library, they should be able to do so (as long as they don’t take time away from class signed up for library).
- Be able to check out books over holidays as long as they are not moving.
- Time slots need to be available for teachers to sign up for research, in addition to their normal weekly visit
- Need more open times to check out new books in between regularly scheduled weekly class visits
- Online card catalog for student access in library – OPAC software needed
- More library computers for student use
- More books to be checked out for 6th grade students for both reports and pleasure reading, as they prepare to enter middle school environment
- Let students check out whatever books they want to read (not just AR) so they can read for enjoyment, not just to take a test.
- Teaching skills to students:
- Library skills taught in class and/or on software
- Students need to learn how to use library resources
- Teach research skills
Respondents to the questionnaire would like to have a library committee to meet the library site goals. As stated in the District Library Plan, committees can be an on-going group with regular meetings, or can be established as a temporary committee for a short time period to meet a specific need (choosing new materials, etc.)