Muroc Joint Unified School District is a K-12 unified school system of approximately 1,900 students, located in the Mojave Desert approximately 110 miles northeast of Los Angeles. It was founded as an elementary school in 1911, with one teacher and less than a dozen students. The school house was located at Edwards. Boron students were bused to the air base for their education. As the area became more populated, another school was established in 1929, in Boron. The schools became a unified district in 1953, encompassing 578 square miles in Kern and San Bernardino counties.
The District serves the communities of Boron, North Edwards and Edwards Air Force Base, and maintains four school sites: two comprehensive junior-senior high schools and two K-6 elementary schools. All of these schools have been awarded “California Distinguished School” status.
Muroc students have been a continual source of pride. From the early mining and flight test eras to today, they have netted top awards in everything from leadership and scholarship, to sports and fine arts. Over the years, a good number of our students have returned as fully credentialed teachers, to teach with sincere concern in the district and the area where they grew up.
Muroc Joint Unified School District
2017–2018 District Goals
- Our students will be held to a very high standard of academic achievement preparing them for future success in higher education, careers and for life as productive citizens.
- We will have well maintained, modern and appealing facilities to better support student learning, staff productivity and community safety.
- We support the development of technology for instructional and administrative efficiency and preparing all students for the new digital age.
- We are effective stewards of existing fiscal resources while developing additional funding for current programs, new initiatives, competitive employee compensation and a strong reserve.
- All members of our educational community engage in positive interpersonal relationships promoting a team culture of cooperation, trust and respect.
- Arts, athletics and student clubs are essential parts of the school experience and support increased student engagement, retention and achievement.
- We promote physical and mental health through programs that encourage healthy living, improved nutrition, and access to personal counseling.